Appeals Process

If you feel your property value is too high, you may file a written protest with the Morgan County Board of Equalization.

Mail protest to:
P.O. Box 696
Decatur, AL 35602

Property owners are given 30 days to file an appeal after written notice of change in valuation. For current year Board of Equalization filing deadlines, you may call 256-351-4694.

The Appeals Process

Upon your appeal, you will be contacted by a county appraiser to review your valuation. After a review if you are still not satisfied with your valuation, a hearing will be set for you to formally meet with the Board of Equalization to present information you feel justifies a change in value.

Following the hearing, you will be notified of the decision of the Board of Equalization. You may appeal to Circuit Court within 30 days from the date the Board of Equalization notifies you of their final decision.

In order to preserve your right to carry the appeal process to Circuit Court, taxes must be paid by December 31, or a bond filed in Circuit Court double the amount of taxes due.